Manager of Engineering Services
- Company: Digital Government and Service NL
- Closing date: March 22, 2023
Competition Number: DGSNL.22.23.1422
Employment Type: 1 Permanent Position
Division: Engineering and Inspection Services
Department: Digital Government and Service NL
Position Group: Management
Location: Mount Pearl
Closing Date: March 22nd, 2023
Salary: $73,553 - $95,619 annually (HL-22)
The Manager of Engineering Services is accountable for planning, organizing and managing a multidisciplinary engineering services program governing the design, fabrication and installation of boilers, pressure vessels, compressed gas systems, refrigerants, anhydrous ammonia, propane and similar gasses, and health care facility medical gas systems; licensing of contractors, plants, distributors; certification of pressure welders, medical gas installers, and propane gas fitters/installers (Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Compressed Gas Regulations); elevators, escalators, hoists, ski-lifts, amusement rides (Elevating Devices and Amusement Rides Regulations); fire and life safety of public, commercial and industrial building designs (Fire Protection Services Regulations); personal care home, nursing home and daycare fire/life
safety building standards (Personal Care Home and Child Care Regulations); sewage disposal and water supply systems (Water Resources Act); and accessibility to buildings (Buildings Accessibility Regulations). The Manager assists in the development and maintenance of relevant provincial legislation, policies and procedures; interprets legislation, codes and standards relating to engineering services; analyzes reports on hazardous equipment and ensures hazards are removed or mitigated, assists the Director in preparation of the divisional budget and monitors divisional spending; represents the department on various committees and boards as required; proactively engages department executives on existing or anticipated issues; and other related duties as required. In order to be successful in this position, the incumbent will need to be self-motivated with the ability to manage and motivate staff and have a strong sense of responsibility with regards to operating multiple public safety programs while ensuring the Engineering Services Section is providing excellent service to the public.
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering (equivalencies will be considered)
- Membership or eligibility for membership with PEGNL
- Experience inspecting or installing and maintaining or operating Boilers/Pressure Vessels or Elevating Devices/Amusement Rides – OR – Experience designing and performing quality control on Boilers/Pressure Vessels or Elevating Devices/Amusement Rides
- Experience leading or mentoring others
- Experience developing policies and procedures (asset)
1. Knowledge of mechanical systems and equipment
2. Knowledge of applicable safety legislation (asset)
3. Stakeholder engagement skills
4. Human Resource Management skills
5. Policy development skills (asset)
6. Ability to make decisions
7. Ability to effectively exchange information
8. Ability to manage time and tasks
9. Ability to work independently
CONDITIONS OF OFFER:
1. Recent and satisfactory Criminal Records Check from local police
2. Proof of valid Class 5 Driver’s license
CONDITIONS OF ACCEPTANCE:
1. Willing to accept day and overnight travel (occasional)
2. Willing to accept flexible start/end times for workday
3. Acknowledges requirement for use of a private vehicle (with business insurance)
INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS:
For more information about this opportunity, please contact David Brockerville at (709) 729-5505.
- The Government of Newfoundland and Labrador values diversity in the work place and is an equal opportunity employer.
- Disability related accommodations and alternate formats are available upon request at any stage of the recruitment process by contacting email@example.com, 709-729-0130 or toll free at 1-888-729-7690.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada or those who
are legally entitled to work in Canada.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to submit an application that demonstrates the required merit criteria.
- Applications that do not clearly demonstrate the required criteria will be screened-out.
- All applications must contain accurate contact information, including current mailing address, email address and phone number.
- All information submitted as part of this application must be factual, complete and current to date of submission.
- This competition may be used to fill future similar vacancies with the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador.
Applications, quoting Competition Number DGSNL.22.23.1422 should be submitted: