Senior Mechanical Engineer
- Closing date: March 20, 2023
- Opportunity to develop your career and work for a global company
- Our culture is inclusive, exciting and performance-driven
- Role based in Labrador City, relocation assistance is provided (No Fly-In-Fly-Out)
About the role
Finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs.
We are looking for Senior Mechanical Engineer to work within Engineering Technical Services team and be responsible for providing oversight on detailed engineering performed by the EPCM and other specialist engineering service providers. In addition, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to mentor EITs, junior and intermediate engineers to develop the necessary skills for the future.
Reporting to the Superintendent, Technical Services you will:
- Provide oversight of the mechanical aspects of the engineering work scope through the project life cycle, while taking into account safety, quality, cost and production
- Maintain relationships with customers to understand their needs and improve delivery of engineering services
- Help to identify engineering solutions to address operational requests which sustain or improve the business using a combination of internal and external resources as needed
- Mentor junior staff , providing guidance and supervising work to assist in their professional and personal development and ensure quality of work and deadlines are met
- Ensure consistent application of project engineering standards and Quality Assurance processes across multiple engineering and procurement packages
- Collaborate and consult effectively with Engineering Consultant and the construction management team to ensure constructability is considered during project design
We have technical development programmes that are industry-leading and recognise the unique nature of your role. These provide opportunities to grow your career through a dedicated technical path while being rewarded for your unique skills.
We are an open, connected global team that includes some of the industry’s best and brightest minds. We offer competitive, performance-focused remuneration and a wide range of benefits to reward your contribution. With a global reach, the opportunities to develop and grow your career are broad and exciting.
What you’ll bring
- Uncompromising commitment to working safely and intelligently
- Demonstrate outstanding teamwork and leadership abilities.
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent.
- A member or eligible to register as a member, of the Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Newfoundland and Labrador (PEGNL)
- Minimum 10 years of engineering experience in mining, or mineral processing industries, with the focused specialization in one of the categories:
o heavy-duty process machinery
o Industrial boilers and pressure vessels
o Pumps and piping systems
o Material handling systems, including conveying, crushing, classification process machinery, as well as lining protection of silos and hoppers
o Industrial HVAC systems, and air quality control
o Industrial dust collection systems
- Must be proficient in English, both written and verbal. Proficiency in French is a definite asset
- Project Management and/or previous experience in a mining and/or processing facility would be considered an asset.
- Possess significant experience and a passion for the design and operation of large scale ore handling systems including primary crushing and high rate conveying systems
What we offer
Be recognized for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- Career development & education assistance to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience with annual incentive program
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical programs, pension and savings plans
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
- Exclusive employee discounts
- Domestic relocation assistance
About Rio Tinto
Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and materials company. We operate in 35 countries where we produce iron ore, copper, aluminium, critical minerals and other materials needed for the global energy transition and for people, communities, and nations to thrive. We have been mining for almost 150 years and operate with knowledge built up across generations and continents. Our purpose is finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs – striving for innovation and continuous improvement to produce materials with low emissions and to the right environmental, social and governance standards. But we can’t do it on our own, so we’re focused on creating partnerships to solve problems, create win-win and meet opportunities.
Where you’ll be working
The Iron Ore Company of Canada (IOC) is a leading Canadian producer of iron ore concentrate and iron ore pellets that serves customers worldwide. The company operates a mine, a concentrator and a pelletizing plant in Labrador City, Newfoundland and Labrador, as well as port facilities in Sept-Îles, Quebec. It also operates a 418 kilometer railroad that links the mine to the port.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQIA2 community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Working at Rio Tinto also means choosing to be part of a company designated as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2023 for a 4th consecutive year. For more information, click hereapply